- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 seeded and finely diced jalapeno
- 2 cups of chopped onions
- 4 cups of chopped red, orange, & yellow peppers
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 3 Cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- Few dashes of Tabasco Sauce
- 1/2 cup of lime juice (Lime juice ban also be added to individual servings to taste)
- 3/4 Litre – 1 Litre Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1. In large soup pot, soften onions in oil without caramelizing them. Add Garlic, peppers and soften on low heat. Add Broth to cover all vegetables plus two inches. Add tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts into four large pieces and add to boiling soup – lower heat, cover and allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until chicken is cooked.
3. Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot to shred it, then add it back to soup.
4. If making ahead of time, bring soup back to simmer and add 1/2 C lime juice right before serving it.
5. Top individual servings with fresh cilantro and green onions, and a dash of lime juice to taste.