- 1 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1 lb of chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 small fresh chili, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp of minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 bunches of asparagus (about 1 1/2 pounds), woody ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium onion, chopped (phase 4 only)
1. Toast cumin and fennel seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Finely grind in a spice grinder (such as a clean coffee grinder) or with a mortar and pestle.
2. Toss chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion (phase 4 only), garlic, chile and ginger; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add asparagus, sprinkle with the remaining spice mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer for 2 minutes more. Return the chicken and any accumulated juice to the pan and cook until the chicken is just cooked through and the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.